Coronavirus: Hong Kong Bans Gatherings Of More Than Two People After Spike in COVID-19 Cases

Hong Kong has banned gatherings of more than two people as countries across the world try to control new coronavirus outbreaks.

The Chinese territory has also banned restaurant dining and introduced rules making it mandatory to wear masks in public places after a spike in locally-transmitted coronavirus cases over the past three weeks.

Authorities reported 145 cases on Monday, a new daily record, of which 142 were locally-transmitted cases.

The measures, which take effect from Wednesday, are the first time Hong Kong has completely banned dining in restaurants.

Chief secretary Matthew Cheung said the “situation is very worrying” as the current outbreak is the most severe the city has experienced.

Mr Cheung said the new measures will be in place for seven days.

The territory, with a population of more than seven million, had halted dine-in services from 6pm earlier in July, as concerns grew of a third wave of infections.

Leave a reply