There is a particular feature that many users of The Microsoft Windows 10 OS are not a fan of and that’s the automatic system update.
Unlike other previous versions of the Microsoft Windows OS, auto system update is mandatory on the windows 10 without an option to disable it from either the control panel or system settings.
The reason for this new feature is to make sure that all devices running on Windows 10 has the latest security patches, bug fixes, and improvements. As we all know, an up-to-date PC is less vulnerable to attacks.
Even though Microsoft doesn’t really give you an option to disable it in the settings or control panel. I will show you other ways to disable automatic system update on your Windows 10 PC.
Meter your network Connection: While this method won’t totally stop automatic updates, it will help reduce the number of updates that are being installed. Windows will only automatically download and install updates it classifies as ‘ Priority ’.
1. Click the Start button, then click the ‘Settings’ or press (Win + I) on your keyboard.
2. Click ‘ Network & Internet ‘.
3. Click on WiFi, then click the name of your Wi-Fi connection.
4. Scroll to “Set as metered connection” and turn it on.
Note : This method will not work if your PC is connected to an ethernet. This method only works with WiFi connection.
Disable Windows Update Service
1. Press the Windows logo key + R at the same time to open the Run Command.
2. Type services.msc and click on OK (or press Enter key).
3. Scroll down and double click on Windows Update.
4. In Startup type, select Disabled from the drop down list.
5. After that, click Apply and OK to save the settings.
Change the Group Policy Editor Settings
This method will only work on Windows 10 Professional, Enterprise, or Education. So if your PC is running Windows 10 home, then you might want to skip this method.
1. Press the Windows logo key + R to open Run Command.
2. Type gpedit.msc and click OK.
3. Now, navigate to Computer Configuration >> Administrative Templates >> Windows Components >> Windows Update.
4. Double-click on Configure Automatic Update.
5 Tick Disabled under Configure Automatic Updates.
6 Click Apply and OK to disable the Windows automatic update feature.
Note : If you need to update your Windows version later, just go back to step 5 and tick enable.
That’s all guys, Don’t forget to share this post and drop your comments.